IPC-A-610 CSE Subject Matter Expert
The IPC A-610 CSE training put together by BEST in accordance with the IPC-A-610 standard is designed for those who want to “brush up” on their knowledge base (the pother option being going through the entire IPC-A-610 CIT training program and then taking the certification tests for the CSE) The IPC-A-610 is a worldwide standard assembled and published by the IPC. It is known worldwide as a standard for the acceptance criteria for electronics The IPC-A-610 candidates are NOT trainers and do not train any employees per se in the IPC-A-610 certification standard . They are typically those “go to” people in your company when it comes to the standard in question or questions about applying the standard. They do NOT have any training requirements. They are also the “go between” on the IPC standard in question and where it is going. They have a “heads up” on the standard as it is evolving. There is also a IPC-A-610 CSE Sr designation with industry longevity and resume analysis.
The “general knowledge” part of the IPC A-610 CSE standard certification testing is a closed-book test with multiple-choice questions. The examination is timed and candidates must answer the questions within a one hour time slot (speed PLUS accuracy count!). Topics include but not limited to the following topical areas:
Terms and definitions
- Classification of electron assemblies
- Flow down requirements
- Appendix in the standard
- Component ID
- Acceptance requirements
- Assembly requirements
The IPC A-610 certification program has multiple levels including Master Instructors, Certified Instructors, applications specialists as well as the CSE an Senior IPC-A-610 CSE designations. IPC A-610 CSE and Master CSE for A-610 retains it validity for a 2 year period of time after successful certification. After the two year certification period has lapsed credentialed individuals they must then re-certify.
What’s material is taught as part of the IPC-A-610 CSE certification by BEST?
Foreword, Applicable Documents, and Handling
PCB,s and Assemblies
Surface Mount Assemblies
Review Materials for the Open book general knowledge
CSE certification exam
Closed Book Examination
How much time should I budget for the IPC A-610 CSE certification testing if I am NOT going to challenge test the material?
Reasons for Becoming Certified as an IPC A-610 CSE
Subject matter experts show customers that your firm is serious about learning and developing your craft at inspecting, building or using electronic assemblies. The IPC-A-610 CSE program is for those companies who do not require or desire to have an IPC-certified trainer on staff.
Who Are Candidates for Becoming an IPC-A-610 CSE?
In most cases, someone from the QC, operations training or engineering staff will become the IPC A-610 CSE or Master CSE. These are people associated with 610 instructor training as are personnel associated with process troubleshooting, process development, program management or other various engineering disciplines.
- After training many specialists as well as trainers BEST has come up with a list of practical filters for choosing who should become the IPC-A-610 CSE or subject matter expert in your company:
- Speak, read and write in the English language (unless the class is being held in another language using non-English material such as Spanish or Mandarin) at least to the 5th-grade level
- Someone who has at least 3 years of experience in electronics manufacturing so that they can illustrate concepts through “real world experiences”
- Someone who can relate well to people and who has very solid communication skills and is not shy about standing in front of people to teach
- Someone who is authorized to travel to IPC meetings in order to improve the standard through the IPC committee standards development process.
What do you have to achieve to pass the IPC-A 610 CSE certification?
- At least one time passing the EPP or the the material which demonstrates the proficiency you have in knowing the IPC Policies and Procedures for the IPC CSE program.
- At least one time in passing an open exam on general electronics industry knowledge
- Passing to a satisfaction of 80% or greater an open book test on general and advanced concepts in the IPC-A-610 standard
Further requirements on the CSE program can be found here